Here you will find details about the Cilcennin Local History Group.
For information on Specific Topics and Notes on Previous Events click here
Upcoming dates (7.30pm Village Hall unless otherwise stated)
- Wednesday 4th January Llanllyr, Recent excavations and a wider picture.
- Wednesday 11th March an Informal Evening
- Wednesday 8th April An insight into the Aeron Valley and Borth through an investigation of their trees: a talk by Rod Bale
- Wednesday 13th May The Middletons and National Botanic Garden, a talk by David Austin
- Wednesday June 10th Bring an object of local historic interest, an informal evening.
- Wednesday July 8th CARDIGAN CASTLE, a visit to refurbished history !
August No meeting, enjoy the holiday!
- Wednesday Sept 9th The Vaughans of Trawsgoed, a talk by Gerald Morgan.
( this to be confirmed nearer the date)
- Wednesday Oct 14th Informal evening for members items
- Wednesday Nov 11th Ships of Cardigan Bay/Round the World Yacht Race
talks by Martin and Tristan Seal
- Wednesday Dec 9th Christmas Party Social Evening
The opening meeting of the group took place in 14th September 2009 where Michael Freeman, curator of the Ceredigion Museum, gave an inspirational talk to a full hall of eager residents. Michael was able to draw on his experiences of helping similar groups within the county who also want to develop their understanding of their local community history.
A fun slide show was shown with many references to Cilcennin which was followed by questions and answers. Since then several further meetings have taken place where a formal group structure was implemented. Entrance to meetings cost £1 and includes refreshments. This will help to build a fund from which the group can spend on appropriate activites. The Group has also applied to become a member of the Ceredigion Local History Forum. More details of this to follow. If you wish to join the group (no joining fee) or have anything you could contribute to the group, you can contact:
Chairman – Ray Williams
Secretary – Tony Morgan
It is planned to make digital scanning equipment available at every meeting, so if you’re wanting to come along and wish to share or simply preserve your old documents, then please bring them along.