Cilcennin Timeline

AN INTRODUCTION TO THE PROJECT FOR RECORDING

A ‘TIME-LINE’ FOR THE VILLAGE OF CILCENNIN

A date sequence record of happenings in and around the village from the earliest recorded and on through the ages up to within range of living memory and then to the most recent.

The earliest items will mainly be from existing external historic records, then to be combined with village records as historic time progresses, these will principally collect and summarise known facts. But the most useful part of this ‘time-line’ record could be as a means of attracting and documenting a variety of information from within the range of living memory. Such information which, if recorded at all is scattered for only the most diligent to find, or which otherwise may be lost never to be recorded.

Your continuous assistance is therefore requested to provide any item which can be dated and which you would be happy to have included for public examination and interest in such a record.

This is probably most easily done via Email or some form of printed or hand written text, message or note to the ‘Club Secretary. A very short summary can then be inserted into the appropriate date position in this Time Line’ to become a permanent part of local history.

If an item is of some length and of significant interest in its own right it can be given its own page with a ‘click link’ from its date ‘Time Line’ heading.The project will set-up the initial time line main text starting from some established early history of happenings in the village area.

But thereafter will be increasingly relying on you and ‘what your grandmother told you ‘ as content to develop this project!

*NEW* (January-March 2013)
*CHANGES* (January-March 2013)

2500/1500 BC – Bronze Age
Trichrug Timulii. Burial mounds?

500/000 BC – Iron Age
Castell Perthi-Mawr (Castle Cilcennin) close to Trichrug tumulii. Hill fort / fortified enclosure for families and livestock? Three mounds. Legend connection to ‘giants of Cambria’: Tales of fairy music occasionally heard, often after closing time.

1210
Battle of Cilcennin
Prince Maelgwn leading a force which included a large contingent of land hungry English was ‘on manoeuvres’, i.e. rob and pillage, in this area. This considerably upset his nephews Rhys and Owain who assembled some three hundred of their very best troops attacked at night and won without extra time! Maelgwn left the field before the end of play but kept his job as manager for other matches in the region. He died in 1230 at Llanerchaeron but was buried royally at Strata Florida. The actual location of this battle is not known, so be on the lookout during any groundworks and play with that metal detector!

c1587-1594
Plas Cilcennin built.

1684 

Holy Trinity Church, Cilcennin in existence. History previous to this date is unsure.

1775
The original Zion Chapel (Independent) built. The term Zion for the chapel has been documented in English, along with Seion, whereas both Sion and Seion have been used in Welsh documents. For future references in the timeline the chapel will be known as Seion in both languages. The chapel is a member of the Union of Welsh Independents group of Churches, but has also been known as a Congregational Church in the past. The first appointed minister was Thomas Rees, Lampeter.

Thomas Rees, minister of Seion Chapel, died before officially accepting the ministry.

1803
The Reverend Dr. Thomas Phillips, Llanfihangel-ar-Arth, took over the ministry of Seion Chapel in addition to those branches of the Neuaddlwyd circuit, including Neuaddlwyd Chapel itself and later on Nebo Chapel (established c1805, chapel built in 1808).

c1808
Carnau Chapel (Wesleyan Methodist) built.

1817 

Holy Trinity Church near to being a ruin. Letters were sent to every church in UK for assistance to rebuild.

1818
Emigration from Cilcennin to Ohio.

1820
The Reverend Phillip Maurice (81), former minister of Seion Chapel, died on November 30th and buried at Ebenezer Chapel, Llangybi.

1833

Cilcennin had become a Parish – http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/400416/details/holy-trinity-church-cilcennin

The Church had been rebuilt prior to this date.

1834/1835
Seion Chapel rebuilt.

1835
The Reverend William Evans, Talybont, appointed joint minister to the Reverend Dr. Thomas Phillips at Seion Chapel.

1835/1836
The Reverend Timothy Evans left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

1837/1838
The Reverend James James appointed vicar at Holy Trinity Church.

1840
The Reverend Dr. Thomas Phillips left the ministry of Seion Chapel.

The Reverend William Evans also left as joint minister of Seion Chapel.

The Reverend Thomas Jones, Trewen, Cwmcou, (Neuaddlwyd Academy) appointed minister at Seion Chapel on March 21st.

1842
The Reverend Thomas Jones of Seion Chapel also appointed to minister at Llangwyryfon Chapel.

The Reverend Dr. Thomas Phillips (70), former minister of Seion Chapel, died on December 22nd and buried at Neuaddlwyd Chapel.

c1850s
Capel Carnau closed.

1851
The Reverend Thomas Jones of Seion Chapel also appointed to minister at Ty’ngwndwn Chapel.

1858
The Reverend Thomas Jones of Seion Chapel left the ministry of Ty’ngwndwn Chapel when it re-united with Troedyrhiw Chapel.

Ebenezer Chapel (Wesleyan Methodists) built.

1859
Seion Chapel rebuilt once more on the site of the present chapel. It’s interesting to note that the following inscription is on the chapel wall: CAPEL SION ADEILIADWYD 1859 (Seion Chapel built 1859).

1863
Seion Chapel, Cilcennin and Bethlehem Chapel, Dihewyd (established c1840’s, chapel built in 1867) united.

1869
Nebo Chapel disestablished from Seion Chapel, Cilcennin, to unite with Siloh Chapel, Llanon.
Datgysylltodd Capel Nebo oddiwrth Capel Seion, Cilcennin, ac ymuno efo Capel Seilo, Llanon.

1874
The Reverend James James left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

The Reverend John Evans (St. Bees Theological College, St. Bees) appointed vicar at Holy Trinity Church after serving as curate at St. Michael Church and St. David Church, Maesteg, in the Parish of Llangynwyd (1866-1868) and St. Tysul Church, Llandysul (1868-1874).

1877
Cilcennin Board School opened on October 8th, with Mr. Daniel (Dan) Jenkins, Pentrefelin, Talsarn, (Bangor Normal College) being appointed the first headmaster, commencing on December 24th.

1878
Mr. Daniel (Dan) Jenkins left his post as headmaster of the Board School on October 9th. He went on to become the headmaster at Llanfair Clydogau Board School (1878-1897) and Llanycrwys Board/Council School, Ffaldybrenin (1898-1920).

1878/1879
Mr. Thomas Hamilton Savage, Liverpool, was appointed as headmaster of the Board School having previously served as headmaster at Llanycrwys Board School, Ffaldybrenin.

1882
The Reverend John Evans left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

The Reverend Thomas Jones appointed vicar at Holy Trinity Church after serving as curate at St. David Church, Llywel (1876-1878), St. Teilo Church, Llandeilo Fawr (1879), St. Maelog Church, Llandyfaelog and St. Anne Church, Cwmffrwd (1880-1882).

1883
The Reverend Thomas Jones left the ministry of Seion Chapel.

1884
The Reverend Thomas Johns, (Bala College), appointed minister at Seion Chapel on January 10th.

1888
The Reverend Thomas Johns left his ministry at Seion Chapel for that of a Presbyterian Church in Kansas, U.S.A.

1889
The Reverend David Cadfwlch Davies, Llanfihangel-ar-Arth, (Carmarthen Presbyterrian College) appointed minister at Seion Chapel on March 15th.

The Reverend Thomas Johns, former minister of Seion Chapel, died on March 20th.

1890
The Reverend Thomas Jones, former minister of Seion Chapel, died on December 12th and buried at Nebo Chapel cemetery.

The Church was again substantially rebuilt between 1890 and 1891 – reroofed, re-floored and re-seated.

1891
Mr. Thomas Hamilton Savage resigned from his post as headmaster of the Board School on July 17th. He went to become the headmaster at Cressbrook School, Derbyshire.

Mr. Timothy Richard Davies, Tyrardd, Cilcennin, was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Board School for about a fortnight.

Mr. I. Daniel Jones, Llwyncelyn, was appointed as headmaster of the Board School on September 28th.

1893
Mr. I. Daniel Jones left his post as headmaster of the Board School for Talybont.

Mr. J. D. Lloyd was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Board School for about two months.

Mr. D. L. Thomas was appointed as headmaster of the Board School.

1895
Mr. D. L. Thomas left his post as headmaster of the Board School.

Mr. Timothy Richard Davies, Tyrardd, Cilcennin, was reappointed as temporary headmaster of the Board School for about two months.

Mr. D. R. Jones was appointed as headmaster of the Board School.

1896
The Reverend David Cadfwlch Davies left the ministry of Seion Chapel for St. Clears.

Mr. D. R. Jones left his post as headmaster of the Board School.

Mr. James Powell was appointed as headmaster of the Board School.

1898
The Reverend John Thomas Parry, Barry, originally from Blaenau Ffestiniog, appointed minister at Seion Chapel on August 11th.

Mr. James Powell left his post as headmaster of the Board School.

Mr. W. D. Evans was appointed as headmaster of the Board School.

1900-91

Gabled single bellcote added.

1901
Mr. W. D. Evans left his post as headmaster of the Board School for Llanrhystud Board School.

1901-1902
Mr. J. Enock was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Board School for about three months.

1902
Mr. W. E. Davies was appointed as headmaster of the Board School.

The Reverend Thomas Jones left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

The Reverend David William Davies (St. David’s College, Lampeter) appointed vicar at Holy Trinity Church after serving as curate at St. David Church, Llanddewi Aberarth and St. Alban Church, Tyglyn (Aberarth) (1891-1902).

1904
Mr. W. E. Davies left his post as headmaster of the Board School.

Mr. Timothy Richard Davies, London, formerly of Tyrardd, Cilcennin, was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Board School for the third time for a period of about two months.

Mr. W. D. Evans was reappointed as headmaster of the Board School.

Following the Education Act (1902) all School Boards in Cardiganshire were dissolved on September 26th and the responsibility of running those schools were handed over to the Cardiganshire Education Committee within Cardiganshire County Council. Therefore, Cilcennin Board School was renamed as the Cilcennin Council School.

1910
The Reverend John Thomas Parry left the ministry of Seion Chapel for Zoar Chapel (I), Maesteg.

Mr. W. D. Evans left his post as headmaster of the Council School to follow a ministerial course at St. David’s College, Lampeter.

Miss A. James was appointed as temporary headmistress of the Council School for about two months.

1911
The 7th Annual Cilcennin Horse Show was held on February 16th in a field at Tymawr Mansion.

Mr. John ‘Ffos’ Davies, Blaenffos, Prengwyn, was appointed as headmaster of the Council School.

1912
The 8th Annual Cilcennin Horse Show was held on February 1st in a field at Tymawr Mansion.

The Cilcennin Chair Eisteddfod was held on March 21st. The winning chair was won by Thomas ‘Cenech’ Davies, Ton Pentre, originally from Llangennech. *see notes below*

The Reverend Thomas ‘Cenech’ Davies, Llangennech, (Brecon Memorial College) appointed minister at Seion Chapel on August 9th. The Reverend Davies was more familiarly known by his bardic name of ‘Cenech’, or sometimes spelt as ‘Cennech’.

1913
The 9th Annual Cilcennin Horse and Cattle Show with Trotting Matches were held on February 27th in a field at Tymawr Mansion. *see notes below*

The Cilcennin Chair Eisteddfod was held on March 14th. The chair was won by Mr. S. G. Davies (Brenni), Rhydlewis. *see notes below*

Mr. John ‘Ffos’ Davies left his post as headmaster of the Council School.

Mr. G. M. P. Davies was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Council School for about four months.

Miss A. James was appointed as temporary headmistress of the Council School for about four months.

Mr. A. Jones was appointed as headmaster of the Council School.

1914
The Cilcennin Chair Eisteddfod was held on March 20th. The chair was won by the Reverend D. L. Rees, Aberaeron. *see notes below*

The 10th Annual Cilcennin Horse and Cattle Show were held on April 30th in a field at Tymawr Mansion.

Seion Chapel received the right to hold wedding ceremonies on April 30th.

The Reverend David William Davies left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

The Reverend Rees David Rees (St. David’s College, Lampeter) appointed vicar of Holy Trinity Church on May 20th after serving as curate at St. David Church, Rhymney (1897-1900), St. Luke/St. Mary Church, Llanllwch (1900-1904), St. Teilo Church, Llandeilo Talybont (Pontardulais) and Holy Trinity Church, Gorseinon (1904-1914).

1915
Mr. A. Jones left his post as headmaster of the Council School.

Mr. J. Williams was appointed as headmaster of the Council School.

1919
Mr. J. Williams left his post as headmaster of the Council School.

Mr. Glanffrwd Davies was appointed as headmaster of the Council School.

1920
The Cilcennin Grand Eisteddfod was held on March 19th. *see notes below*

1921
The Reverend Thomas ‘Cenech’ Davies left the ministry of Seion Chapel for Gwyddgrug Chapel, near Pencader and Brynteg Chapel, near Llanybydder. He later went on to minister at Upper Chapel, Solva.

1923
The annual Cilcennin Agricultural Show was held on February 23rd in a field at Hendre.

Mr. Glanffrwd Davies left his post as headmaster of the Council School.

Mr. G. E. Ellis was appointed as headmaster of the Council School.

1924
The Reverend David Jenkins Jones, Gwyddgrug, (Carmarthen Presbyterian College) appointed minister at Seion Chapel. He previously ministered at Saron Independent Chapel, Gendros, Swansea (1910-1920) and Carmel Independent Chapel, Fochriw (1920-1924). He was also known as the Reverend David Jenkins-Jones. See 1942.

1930
The Reverend Rees David Rees left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

The Reverend Reginald Marker Rosser (St. David’s College, Lampeter) appointed as vicar of Holy Trinity after serving as curate at St. Non Church, Llannon (1923-1927), St. Teilo Church, Llandeilo Fawr, St. Dyfan Church, Llandyfan, St. Tyfei Church, Llandyfeisant and St. John Church, Maesteilo (1927-1935).

1934
Timothy Richard Davies (63), Tyrardd, Cilcennin, who had three spells as temporary headmaster at the Board School (1891, 1895 and 1904), died on December 13th and buried at Holy Trinity Church cemetery.

1935
The Reverend Reginald Marker Rosser left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

The Reverend David Henry Evans (St. David’s College, Lampeter) appointed as vicar of Holy Trinity Church after serving as curate at St. Dogfan Church, Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant (1917-1919), St. David Church, Llanarth (1919-1921), St. Llwchaearn Church, Llanllwchaearn (New Quay) and Holy Trinity Church (Cross Inn) (1921-1927) and as vicar at St. David Church, Blaenpennal (1927-1935).

1936
The 1st Annual Show was held by the Cilcennin Agricultural and Holticultural Club on August 15th at the Commercial Hotel fields. *see notes below*

1937
The 2nd Annual Show was held by the Cilcennin Agricultural and Horticultural Club on August 10th.
Cynhalwyd yr 2ail Sioe Flynyddol gan Glwb Amaethyddol a Garddwriaethol Cilcennin ar Awst 10fed.

1938
The 3rd Annual Show was held by the Cilcennin Agricultural and Horticultural Club on August 13th at the Commercial Hotel fields. *see notes below*

1939
The 2nd Annual Cilcennin Ploughing Match was held on January 14th in a field at Rhiwlas-isaf. *see notes below*

1940
The 3rd Annual Cilcennin Ploughing Match was held on February 10th in fields at Ffoshelyg Farm, having been cancelled from January 27th. *see notes below*

The Reverend David Henry Evans left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

The Reverend Willie Rufus Jones (St. David’s College, Lampeter and St. Michael’s College, Llandaff) appointed vicar of Holy Trinity Church after serving as curate at Christ Church, Cwmamman (1933-1940).

Mr. G. E. Ellis left his post as headmaster of the Council School.

1940-1941
Mr. D. A. Jones was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Council School for about four months.

1941
Mr. S. C. Evans was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Council School for about two months.

Miss Nellie Gwyneth Lewis was appointed as headmistress of the Council School.

1942
The Reverend David Jenkins Jones (63), minister of Seion Chapel died in office on May 22nd and buried at Bethlehem Chapel cemetery in Dihewyd. It’s interesting to note that the name on the gravestone at Dihewyd is written as David Jenkins-Jones with the hyphen included. The Seion Chapel annual reports during the time of his ministry also have his name written with an hyphen, with a mixture of the names in the Salem, Gendros reports. However his death certificate was registered as David Jenkins Jones without the hyphen. See 1924.

1944
The Reverend Thomas ‘Cenech’ Davies (68), former minister of Seion Chapel, died on July 8th and buried at Bryn Seion Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist) cemetery in Llangennech.

The Reverend David Emlyn Hopkins appointed minister at Seion Chapel.

1946
Mr Daniel (Dan) Jenkins (90), former headmaster at the Board School, died on November 18th and buried at Abermeurig Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist) cemetery.

Miss Nellie Gwyneth Lewis left her post as headmistress of the Primary School for Gwenlli Primary School.

1946-1947
Mr. D. G. Williams was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Primary School for about three months.

1947
Miss M. I. Jones was appointed as headmistress of the Primary School.

1951
The Reverend Willie Rufus Jones left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church for St. Lleian Church, Gorslas.

The Reverend David Lloyd Jones, Mydroilyn, appointed vicar of Holy Trinity Church after serving as curate at All Saints and Hall Church, Dowlais (1932-1937), St. David and Cyfelach Church, Llangyfelach and St. Teilo Church, Morriston (1937-1939) and as vicar at All Saints Church, Gwynfe (1939-1951).

1956
The Cilcennin Horticultural Show was held on September 15th.

Cilcennin Women’s Institute was formed on October 4th at a meeting held at the Village Hall. The first official meeting to be held by the Institute took place on October 22nd.

1958
Ebenezer Chapel centenary.

1959
Seion Chapel centenary.

The Reverend David Emlyn Hopkins left the ministry of Seion Chapel.

1960
The Reverend John Stuart MacLaughlan appointed minister at Seion Chapel.

1965
Miss M. I. Jones left her post as headmistress of the Primary School.

Mrs. I. B. Llewelyn was appointed as temporary headmistress of the Primary School for about four months.

1966
Mr. William Williams, Penrhyndeudraeth, was appointed as headmaster of the Primary School.
Penodwyd Mr. William Williams, Penrhyndeudraeth, fel prifathro’r Ysgol Gynradd.

1970
The Reverend Howell Mudd appointed minister at Seion Chapel.

The Reverend David Lloyd Jones retired as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

After the retirement of The Reverend David Lloyd Jones, Holy Trinity Church, Cilcennin and St. Padarn Church, Llanbadarn Trefeglwys disestablished themselves from each other. Llanbadarn Trefeglwys joined up with St. Bridget Church, Llansantffraed while Cilcennin joined with St. Michael Church, Llanfihangel Ystrad in the care of The Reverend Cyril Azariah Bevan.

1970-1972
Mr. Daniel Hughes Evans was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Primary School for two years while Mr William Williams and his family were in Canada.

1972
Mr. William Williams returned to his post as headmaster of the Primary School.

1975
The Reverend Cyril Azariah Bevan, the vicar of Holy Trinity Church, was made a canon of St. David’s diocese.

Cilcennin Football Club formed and entered the Cardiganshire Football League for the 1975/76 season.

1977
Cilcennin Primary School centenary on October 8th.

1978
Cilcennin Football Club folded and withdrew from the Cardiganshire Football League at the end of the 1977/78 season.

Ebenezer Chapel closed.

1979
The Reverend David Emlyn Hopkins, former minister of Seion Chapel, died on January 15th and buried at Bryn Chapel (Independent) cemetery in Bryn, near Llanelli.

Canon Cyril Azariah Bevan left as vicar of Holy Trinity Church.

1980
Mr. William Williams retired from his post as headmaster of the Primary School on July 15th to follow a course at the Welsh College of Music and Drama in Cardiff.

Mr. Hywel Thomas, Aberaeron, was appointed as headmaster of the Primary School.

1983
The Reverend Howell Mudd left the ministry of Seion Chapel for Gwynfryn Chapel, Ammanford and Seion Chapel, Llandybie.

1984
Mr. Hywel Thomas left his post as headmaster of the Primary School to take over as headmaster of Ciliau Parc Primary School (Ciliau Aeron).

Mr. Daniel Sweeney, Llanon, was appointed as headmaster of the Primary School.

1992
Seion Chapel renovated.

2005
Mr. Tomos Rhydwyn Ifan was appointed as temporary headmaster of the Primary School for about two months during Mr. Daniel Sweeney’s absence.

The Reverend John Stuart MacLaughlan, former minister of Seion Chapel, died on September 28th.

*NOTES* The programmes for the these events are held at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth, which can be viewed when you visit the library.

www.llgc.org.uk

‘Cilcennin Cyntaf is not responsible for the content of external sites.’